February 9, 2012

Top Ten Reasons I'm on a Blogging Hiatus (in somewhat chronological order)

1.  At this very moment I am picking the laptop off the floor to continue with this post.  Three seconds ago I was helping Phoebe aim for the bowl next to her on the couch.  Throwing up stinks.

2.  This morning I woke up with food poisoning (or a stomach bug?).  Phoebe didn't show symptoms til about  4 o'clock this afternoon while playing with friends outside.  Poor thing came running down the street to tell me how she was feelin'...she didn't have to say anything.  I'm thankful for good neighbors, who pull hoses from garages and spray down the street while I stroke the hair of one very sad (and embarrassed) little lady.

3. A last-minute trip to the mainland for Xee's dad's 65th surprise birthday party which included one overnight flight into L.A., a drive to Fresno, where we stayed for two days, headed back to Orange County, said goodbye to Daddy, a pinch or two (or a hundred) of baby drama, lots of hugs and kisses, one very surprised sister of mine (gotcha!), precious time with my Mama, and one very hairy second week, which included.... one night of throwing up (Phoebe again), THE nastiest virus on the planet for all but my mom (thank you Lord for my Mom!), bilateral ear infections for Miss Phoebe (SERIOUSLY!!), my first (and likely last) solo flight with the two kids, one week-long sinus infection for me....deep breath.  Sigh.  We're home.

(Until today, this was number 1 on the list.)

P.S. Xee's dad was incredibly surprised to see us and moved to tears.  It was a priceless moment and worth every effort to be there for it!!!

4.  Still unpacking, reorganizing, and recovering (see number 3).

5.  Four half-written posts and another dozen in my head but lack of time, creative juices, or more often than not, an inability to ignore my body's command to sleep have kept me from completing any of them.  I rarely argue with my body these days.

6.  The gravitational pull on my eyelids.  Did I mention sleep is a priority?

7.  We finally finished putting Christmas away (see number 3 again).

8.  A good book awaits.  Three actually.  I tend to have more than one good read laying around the house in places that I might steal small doses of a paragraph or two when a moment presents itself.

9.  My real life is happening in real time and I don't want to miss a thing.  Magical baby milestones are happening at every turn and though I desperately want to chronicle them all, I'm just having so much fun being smack-dab in the middle it.  And time alone with my husband?  Also rare (see numbers 5b and 6).

10.  I've had the strongest desire to go dark lately.  While I find my modern conveniences quite enjoyable, in our world of facebook and smart phones, and Apps for everything imaginable, technological advances are happening at warp speed, flooding into nearly every waking moment, and if I don't put a cork in it, I might miss something really great.  I might miss an opportunity to be still.  To be quiet.  To focus.  To breathe.  To be real.

Really real.

In my mind I sometimes imagine that I have a modern gal on one shoulder-happy to be juggling multiple projects, texting on my cell, running around with the kiddos, and uploading videos to YouTube...and a little Amish girl on the other-one who longs for a quiet walk in a wide-open space, and has never seen a television or a computer.  Okay, maybe Amish is a bit of a stretch.  I think I'm somewhere in the middle of these two little ladies.  I suppose I kind of like it that way.  Still, I long for a forced simplicity.  I may have more to say on this later, but for now, see number 6.

1 comment:

M. Fritze said...

congrats on being able to organize all that chaos into a numbered list! i hear ya. the rounds of sick are the worst and those 1st two years of a baby... sleep takes top priority. go dark for a day every now and then, it feels good! xoxo