December 21, 2008

It's the Little Things

When Xee took a five day trip to Phoenix last month I gave him a "quest" of sorts. I told him to bring something back for me. "Something that shows you know me," I told him. You see, for a few years Xee travelled quite a bit and he often came home with little things here and there that he purchased because he was thinkin' about me. They didn't always suit my fancy and they often didn't fit, but he was thinking about me. So when he came home from his trip, unpacked his bag in front of me and there was no indication that anything new had made it's way into his luggage, I wondered.

That night after Phoebe went to bed he pulled out his laptop and told me to listen. He had downloaded a song he heard while driving around in Phoenix. Maybe you've heard it. Remember When by Alan Jackson. A simple gift reminiscent of our inseparable days of courtship when every song brought one another to mind, when the world around us seemed to fade into the background of this exciting new love between us. A very thoughtful gesture from my husband.

This morning I hurried Phoebe out the door and grabbed the iPod Shuffle, ready for a workout. I put the headphones in, turned it on, and there it was. The song. Knowing I would grab the iPod for my exercise ritual at the beach, Xee had added it to the playlist and set it up as the next to play. I smiled as I listened to the words and realized that parts of this song don't apply to us yet. And in this lies the promise that one day they will. We still have so much to experience in this life together. Does he know me? Yeah....I think he does.

1 comment:

Laurel said...

Ah ha!!! I found you!!! How happy am I that you are blogging? Now I can feel like I at least glimpse a part of your life. I've enjoyed reading through the older posts and have loved hearing what cute little Phoebe is up to these days. They are such a handful aren't they? I don't know what I'm thinking about starting babyhood all over again. Sometimes just thinking about it gives me a little panic attack, and then I have to remember all the good stuff that comes with it, too.

I am happy my friend to find your little corner of the world. I'll be back to visit often!

xoxo

ps: I am totally giggling right now. Your word verification says "holyin" this time around. You must be living right! :0)