June 18, 2009

Meltdowns

Young children-they melt down. Even the brightest, happiest toddlers, with amazing vocabularies and exceptional manners (for their age), have their moments. Kids don't always know how to put into words just how they are feeling...so they EXPRESS themselves. They melt.

We had a couple of these today. I handled them fairly well. Sometimes I am the picture of a loving, patient mommy. And well, sometimes I look back and say to myself that I hope to do better next time. You know, one cannot always see it coming, for these toddlers can be awfully unpredictable. Happy one minute, in a crazy "I want my way!" fit the next. Much of the time for Phoebe, this means she is in desperate need of sleep. She may not recognize it, but I AM MOMMY and I know.

Being in a transition with a child's schedule is not easy. Phoebe hasn't been napping regularly for a while now. She naps two to three times a week, depending on what we have going on. And today she was ultra cranky in the car. When she throws a fit at home and I am needing to take a breather, lest I lose control, I can walk away for a moment, regroup, and handle it gracefully. That isn't possible in a car. So today I was just thinkin'...wouldn't it be cool if vehicles came with the sound-proof glass option? You know, like a limo. With one touch of a button, the glass would slowly rise up between me and the rear. Ah, silence. I can see you, but I can't hear you!

1 comment:

Jing said...

Yes we all have our "diva" moments. You should really invent that sliding glass for the cars. I would buy it!