October 18, 2009

Weekend Wisdom

I have been hosting "Weekend Wisdom" every friday on To Your Health, and I am thinking of hosting it here instead. Hopefully you all will be interested in participating. Give me some love and leave a comment, would ya? Here is this weekend's post.

It's Friday night. I am posting a bit late...the week goes by so quickly! When it comes to wisdom, there is no better source than the infallible Word of God. So I look to the Bible daily, for wisdom, for hope, for truth.

This week I quote a passage from the book of John, chapter 6, verse 31 (also found in Matthew 7:12). We have all heard this quoted many times. The "Golden Rule" existed before Christ, in the rabbinic writings and also in other religions. All other versions cast the rule as a negative command, like Rabbi Hiilel's version, "What is hateful to yourself do not to someone else." But Jesus made it a positive command, saying,

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

Now the meaning of the saying comes to life, and we see this one command sum up the whole gist of the ethical principles provided in the Commandments. We see that we ought not to just avoid hating or hurting one another, but instead be actively loving one another.

2 comments:

thais said...

Hi there! I couldn't find your email and you left a comment on my blog saying that you're interested on having the design from my personal blog to you. I would love to redesign you a new blog :) visit my page and send me a message: olivinadesignhouse@blogspot.com

thais said...

I was actually offering to install for free the current template I have at loveandolive@blogspot.com for you... if you're interested send me an email so we can talk better, thx :))