May 20, 2009

Spring Cleaning & Stuff!

We have a lot of stuff, don't we? No, not we, as in me, my husband, and our child. We-as in, you and me, our nation, our culture, society. Stuff is essential, is it not? I mean, we have to eat stuff, right? And we need stuff to wear, stuff to sit on, stuff to sleep on. New stuff, vintage stuff, hygienic stuff, transportation stuff, kid stuff, grown-up stuff, work stuff, play stuff, entertaining fluff-stuff!

I have been doing a lot of spring cleaning in the last couple of months, which has been long over due. It started out as organization, but the more stuff I found behind stuff, the more I realized we needed to donate some stuff. And nothing is wrong with stuff. I have just been thinkin'...about STUFF!

We aren't born with a lot of stuff. We acquire it. I look in my daughter's closet and it is filled with clothes (much more than I have, I might add), and boxes of stuff that fit easily below, since her clothes are so small. There is little storage here, so her closet has been raided by stuff that won't fit anywhere else.

And so we have lots of stuff. We grow up with some stuff, then we get a place of our own and fill it with our stuff. We buy stuff, and then we get bored with that stuff, so we buy new stuff with that plastic stuff in our wallets, and we give stuff away to people who need some stuff. Our kids are given stuff (which we are terribly grateful for) and they grow out of that stuff. So we get more stuff...and give away the old stuff. There is stuff in our cupboards, stuff in drawers, stuff flowing out of stuff. Then we need to buy some stuff, in which to store our stuff. And stuff to label our stuff (so we won't forget about our stuff!).

How about all the technological stuff? Stuff to watch, stuff to read, stuff to download, upload, transfer, file, forward. And stuff is changing...more quickly than ever. So there is the latest and greatest stuff. Breakthrough stuff. Never seen anything like it stuff. AND just gotta have it stuff. I guess we are kind of drawn to stuff.

I would be lying if I said I didn't like my stuff, or that I didn't enjoy shopping for new stuff (hence, the nickname, "Queen of Returns" has rightfully been bestowed upon me). So how close is the line between stuff and fluff? I mean, isn't it mostly the latter? Aren't there people living contently with a lot less than I? Well, there you have it. I've just been thinkin' about some stuff.

Now godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out. 1 Timothy 6:6-7

1 comment:

M. Fritze said...

So true! I have to say moving quite a bit has made us continually get rid of stuff and it feels so good!