May 8, 2009

Happy Mother's Day!!



Remember those old Calgon commercials? You know the ones...the lady gets in the tub and suddenly, Calgon "takes her away". I was taking a very well deserved, hot bath last night and randomly (or not so randomly) thought of them. Seriously, unless this magic potion can actually teleport me out of the madness, I will have to find solace in the plain-old hot bath, the good book (if I can even keep my eyes open), and the cozy bed.

With Mother's Day right around the corner, I laid in the hot bath, lights out, and I thought of my own mom. Every night my mom took a bath, and it was her time. All day long she would cook for us all, clean for us all, cart us around to school and elsewhere. This was her time. And yet, on many occassions, one of us would have something important, something that just couldn't wait...something that warranted a knock on the bathroom door to ask or tell her that thing. She rarely complained...just said with a sigh, "Come in." Even her alone time was not fully her own.

When we become mommies, we realize the sacrifice our own mommies made throughout the years and we appreciate them on a completely different level. And we love them that much more. Every day should be Mother's Day. One day is hardly the recognition mommies deserve, but we'll take it!

So call your mom, not just on Mother's Day, but any day, and say "Thank you."

Thank you for licking your finger and wiping the goo off my face. Thank you for carrying me in your body, for feeding me from your breast. Thank you for reading to me, for singing to me, for kissing my boo-boos all better, for teaching me right from wrong. Thank you for not totally losing it when I....Thank you for hurting when I hurt, for cheering me on, for celebrating my victories and helping me up in defeat. Thank you for cuddling me, for hugs and kisses, for life wishes. Thank you for cherishing me, guiding me, for loving me. Thank you mom.

To my own mom, Margaret, thank you for your unconditional love and support. To my dear sister, Heather, thank you for being Mom's helper and for being there if Mom wasn't able. And to my girlfriend mommies, thank you for laughing with me about it all, and for supporting me in the thick of it. Happy Mother's Day!!

1 comment:

The Euless Martins said...
This comment has been removed by the author.