January 3, 2009

Embracing the Chaos

A girlfriend recently asked my how I am liking motherhood. Well, I absolutely love it. If you read my blog you know how smitten I am with my daughter. She ROCKS my world...in many ways. The thing is, I would be lying if I said that mommyhood always brings out the best in me. There are many moments that I don't recognize myself. At times I am really tired of hearing the sound of my own voice...can anybody relate? And if I am being brutally honest, there are moments I don't really like me either.

When I got pregnant I had no idea just how much this gig was going to stretch me. So Laurel, to answer your question I will quote your eloquent words - "...motherhood is more like a symphony of chaos and low notes punctuated with highlights of brightness." It is not an occupation or a vocation. It is a calling. And one that humbles and challenges and uplifts and amuses me to the very core. There are feelings of conviction and frequent prayers. But I laugh more than ever and I am looking at life with fresh perspective...through the eyes of my child. It is an amazing journey.

At the end of the day, when there's a kiddy show theme song stuck in my head, and I smell kind of weird, toys have exploded throughout the house, and there is blue play dough under my nails, I wouldn't swap lives with anyone for the world. Sure, my laundry room resonates a locker room stench while that ring in the toilet continues to taunt me, and we are all having chicken dinosaur nuggets for dinner...but I just can't imagine being anywhere but here. Because my life is so darn wonderful. I am truly blessed and thankfully, there is an abundance of grace!

3 comments:

Shiloh Strang said...

Hello Audrey!

We were watching old His Grace movies this evening. You danced beautifully! My how our lives change with children! Loved this post! I am so happy that you are loving your calling of Motherhood. I love mine too! All I can say is "thank the Lord for Jesus! I couldn't do it without Him!
Love,
Cindy

Laurel said...

I loved this post. Isn't it amazing how hard motherhood is and yet what a blessing at the same time? I suppose that is what He meant when he said "when you lose your life in the service of others you find it." And I totally agree about the stretching. Sometimes I feel like I am at my wit's end and I think, "Hmm. I used to be charming." But I think those are symptoms of growth. Growing pains, perhaps?

Well, I love that you are completely smitten with Phoebe. She's a doll. The journey of life is amazing, isn't it?

PS: Here's my email: tlwicke@cox.net.

xoxo

M. Fritze said...

well said. loved it!